Monday, April 19, 2010

The Life of a Layman

So changing my lifestyle from a clergyman to a layman has not been altogether easy. I do miss serving in the Altar. I miss serving others in a unique and special way. However, I can still serve others as a Christian and I can still love and pray for others. What this experience has taught me, however, is that the life of a layman is difficult.

Since I attended seminary at such a young age, it has shaped the way I think about things. For this, I am grateful. At the same time, the way I was taught, I am coming to discover, is often not quite right. Not only are the answers different in Orthodoxy, but the questions are different, too.

The life of a layman is in many ways more difficult than the life of a monastic or a priest. Let me explain. As a priest or monastic, one's entire life is caught up with the church and serving her. While there are moments of conflicting desires (seeing one's family and performing one's duty as a priest), usually the Church always wins out. As a priest or monastic, the priority is always God. This is a wonderful gift, but it is also a yoke. But it is one that is light to bear and one that gives far more than it demands of us.

As a layman, though, one's life is divided and torn among family, work, church, and numerous other things that demand our time. To try and do all that we would like to do, or all that we want to do is nearly impossible. It is hard enough to juggle family, work, not to mention one's faith--especially in a diverse family who does not always see eye-to-eye on religious matters.

This experience has given me a whole new appreciation for those in the Church who give of their time to attend Liturgies, Vespers, and the many other services that are offered. To be "on the other side of the altar" both literally and figuratively, has been something that I will not forget. I hope one day it will make me a better pastor. God willing...

No comments:

Post a Comment